The Florida Panhandle is a beautiful stretch of coastline in the northwest of Florida. At 200 miles long, there is no shortage of breathtaking beaches along the Florida Panhandle. You’ll find the beach sand white, soft and powdery, straight out of your dreams! Beaches are flanked by the emerald green waters of the Gulf of Mexico, hence its nickname, the Emerald Coast.
The weather in the Florida Panhandle in May
The weather in the Florida Panhandle in May is some of the best you’ll experience all year round. It’s warm but not yet so hot and humid that you’ll feel uncomfortable every time you venture outside. Generally the average temperature is in the mid-80s which is perfect for outdoor activities and swimming. Low temperatures are in the mid-to-low-60s which is cool and comfortable without a chill factor.
There are on average 7 to 8 days of rain a day in May, which is a little higher than March and April, but the warm and balmy days make it a better month to visit regardless of rainfall. The air is still dry as the intense summer humidity has not yet set in, which is much more pleasant for both adults and kids. The summer humidity can be a real killer!
How busy is the Florida Panhandle in May?
When you plan your visit to the Florida Panhandle in May, you miss the summer crowds. Prices have not yet been hiked in preparation for the influx of crowds, so you get better deals on everything from tours to accommodations.
Things to do in the Florida Panhandle in May
By visiting the Florida Panhandle in May, you’re guaranteed some of the best weather all year round. Be sure to schedule plenty of beach days where you can enjoy catching some rays, swimming in the ocean, snorkeling, shelling, paddleboarding, windsurfing and kayaking to name a few of the area’s most popular activities. It’s also a suitable time of year to soak up nature by visiting some of the scenic hiking trails and parks.
- Attend the Pensacola Crawfish Festival – picture 16 000 pounds of freshly caught crawfish, cooked to perfection and waiting to be devoured at your fingertips. If you’re a seafood lover, be sure to hit up the Pensacola Crawfish Festival for Cajun-inspired dishes, decadent desserts and fresh local brews.
- Spring Art Festival – each year in May, local businesses in Navarre Beach accept entries for local artists and hold an exciting art festival in town complete with food trucks and live music. This is one art lovers will not want to miss out on attending!
- Hwy 87 Market – the Highway 87 Market is held on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month in Sand Dollar Plaza in Navarre Beach. Stroll through the market and find everything from art, decor, crafts, jewelry and food stalls. Many of the vendors offer special offers so do take advantage of a bargain here and there!
- Art Month South Walton – each year the Art Alliance of Walton County brings you a month-long event for art lovers across the country to attend. You can expect visual art displays, live performances and literary art presentations held across various South Walton venues.
- Seaside Farmers Market – if you’re visiting South Walton and love to immerse yourself in the local culture and events, then pop in at the Seaside Farmers Market every Saturday between 9am and 1pm. The market not only supports local farmers and vendors by offering a sales platform, they are passionate about teaching the public about the importance of sustainable and eco-friendly practices. You’ll find everything from fresh milk to free range meat, eggs, fresh veg, cheeses and even treats for your pooches!
- DeFuniak Springs Triathlon – are you a sporty traveler? Then lace up your sneakers and join in the DeFuniak Springs Triathlon in South Walton. The triathlon begins with a 600 yard swim around the lake, followed by a 16 mile bike ride and a 5k run along a scenic and beautiful route. Stay the weekend and enjoy plenty of time outdoors and on the beautiful lake, a great experience for families visiting the Florida Panhandle in May.
- Grand Lagoon Tacos and Tequila Fest – local bars and restaurants across Panama City Beach compete for the title of Best Taco and Best Tequila Cocktail each year during the Grand Lagoon Tacos and Tequila Fest.
- Florida Jeep Jam – are you a Jeep driver and loyalist? Then roll into Panama City Beach in mid May for the Florida Jeep Jam. Thousands of Jeep lovers head to Panama City Beach for a week-long vacation known as ‘Jeep Week.’ Events include an obstacle course, off-road excursion through the sand dunes and the Topless for Turtles Beach Krawl.
- Thunder Beach Spring Motorcycle Rally – Join in the fun during Bike Week in Panama City Beach in the first week of May. Checkout the latest motorbikes and accessories, enjoy live music and entertainment and take a ride along the beautiful beachfront. There are 7 event venues spread out across the town, each with different activities to enjoy so be sure to visit them all if you can!
Should I visit the Florida Panhandle in May?
May boasts really beautiful and warm weather without the humidity that many find very unpleasant in the summer months. It is also a time of the year where there is a lull in the crowds as it is in between Spring Break and the start of the peak Summer season. There are also lots of fun events for the whole family to enjoy in May across the Panhandle. We can highly recommend planning a trip to the Florida Panhandle in May.
Your Guide To Visiting The Florida Panhandle In April
Everything To Know About Visiting The Florida Panhandle In March