Destin in March: Destin is a charming coastal town along the Emerald Coast, also known as the Florida Panhandle. Things start warming up in March as Spring rolls in making it a great time of the year for a beach vacation. While the water can still be a little cold for some, if you’re a daredevil or traveling from colder climates, you may just find the water temperature doesn’t even bother you! Here’s why you should consider visiting Destin in March…
Destin in March has great weather
The weather in Destin in March is pretty great! The days are warm enough to walk around in beach clothes or a pair of shorts while all you need to survive the cooler evenings is a light jacket thrown over your shoulders. There’s nothing like spending a warm, sunny day at the beach and gathering around a firepit in the evening with a drink in hand. Winter days can be too cold for beach activities or even enjoying some outdoor activities like hiking and paddling. Summer, on the other hand, can be too hot and humid to spend an extended period of time outdoors.
In March the highs are in the low 70s while the average temperature is around 68°F, making for near perfect beach weather. Visiting Destin in March also means you skip the hurricane season which means you don’t need to worry about any crazy weather ruining your trip.
Destin in March is quieter than the summer
The summer months see a huge influx of families and tourists visiting Destin. While March is spring break for many schools, you’ll still find a much thinner crowd than you would during the summer. Most resorts have their own private beaches but the area as a whole is not as crowded and congested in March, making for a much more pleasant experience, especially if you’re anti-crowds.
Destin in March offers lower rates
Spring rates are higher than winter rates but much cheaper than the prices you’ll find if you visit during June, July and August. In fact, you’ll be able to find some pretty fantastic all-inclusive deals during March and April, such as at the adults-only Henderson Park Inn.
Destin in March has some fun things to do
The best part of visiting Destin in March is that there are a lot of exciting events on the go during the month! Besides great weather for the beach and time outdoors, March is also jam-packed with festivals and events for the whole family.
- Tequila and Taco Festival – the annual Tequila and Taco Festival is a 3 day taste extravaganza with various vendors selling tacos, tequila, margaritas and more. Sample the signature dishes from each of the festival’s vendors and treat your tastebuds to a flavor-filled journey! The event is kid-friendly with kid-approved food, face painting and other entertainment arranged for the little senoritas and muchachos in attendance.
- Mac and Cheese Festival – Each year, local chefs and restaurants compete to produce the best mac n cheese. Sample them all and cast your vote to see who the winner will be. All proceeds from ticket sales go towards Boys and Girls Club of the Emerald Coast.
- McGuire’s Irish Pub St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations – McGuire’s Irish Pub hosts a legendary St. Patrick’s Day celebration gets pretty wild, so leave the kids behind for this one! It starts with a 5K fun run/walk and ends with a festive after party back at the pub.
- Visit a craft beer brewery – nothing says Spring like an ice cold beer! Instead of buying a 6-pack from the local liquor store, sample the creations and interesting flavor combinations at some of Destin’s local craft breweries. Destin Brewery is a popular stop, being the biggest brewery in town with a selection of year-round beers, seasonal beers and unusual beers to choose from. Idyll Hounds Brewing Company offers a large selection of beers ranging from IPAs to seasonal beers. Nearby is Grayton Beer Company which sells a range of small batch beers in bottles designed by local artists for a novel drinking experience.
- Wednesday Concert Series – Baytowne Wharf holds an outdoor concert every Wednesday evening between 7pm and 9pm for the whole family to attend. All you need to bring along is a blanket or camping chair and some snacks or refreshments if you’re feeling peckish.
- Watch a Golf Tournament – The Emerald Coast Classic is hosted at the Sandestin Resort, which boasts a beautiful, manicured golf course and an exciting line-up of 156 players with a $600k prize pool. If you want to play a round of golf during your stay, you can also book a round at the Sandestin Resort outside of the tournament dates.
- Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park – Kids and adults alike enjoy visiting the Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park. Explore the marine life housed in the aquarium, watch a dolphin show or experience a remarkable up-close encounter with the likes of seals, stingrays, reptiles, penguins and more.
Should I visit Destin in March?
March is a beautiful time of the year to visit Destin. The weather is warm and mild with plenty of sunshine and clear skies. This makes spending long days on the beach or outdoors very pleasant and comfortable without the sweltering heat and humidity of summer or the bite in the air that winter brings. You will find the town a lot less crowded than during the summer months which many travelers find makes a trip that much more enjoyable. An added bonus of visiting Destin in March is the many fun events and festivals that take place during the month. Nobody will object to attending a festival dedicated to Mac and Cheese after all! If festivals aren’t your thing, there is still a lot of other stuff to do around town including visiting breweries and the local aquarium. All in all, March is an excellent month to book a vacation in Destin.